Archaeological Site of Olympia
Daily 08:30 – 15:00, Distance: 600 meters from hotel – 10 min. walk.
The first games were held in the second millennium B.C. and had local character. In 776 B.C the first Pahnellenic games were organized in Olympia. During the games all the wars between the Greek cities had to stop. Some of the important building are: The temple of Zeus, a work in Doric structure made from local shell-limestone and covered with white stucco, but the metopes and pediments made from marble.
The temple of Hera, a Doric Temple,
The Philippeion, a circular marble structure with lonic columns and conical roof.
The palestra, where athletes were using for boxing, and wrestling.
The buildings were the athletes used to train,
The workshop of Phidias who curved the Ivory
Archaeological Museum of Olympia (tel.+30 26240 22742)
(Mondays: 10:00 – 15:00)Distance: 350 meters from Hotel – 5 min. walkIt houses some the most unbelievable sculptures, such as the extensive collection of bronze votive offerings from the classical Period the richest of its kind in the world. Also the sculpted decoration of the temple of Zeus, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, the statue of Nike by Paionios and naturally Hermes of Praxiteles. The hosting of the 2004 Olympic games gave the opportunity to restore works in the museum and upgrade and improve the surrounding area.
Museum of the History of the Ancient Olympic Games.
(Daily 08:30 – 15:00) Distance: 350 meters from Hotel – 3 min. walk.
As of 2004, it hosts exhibits demonstrating the glorious history of the Olympic games. The collection has been organized by topic and covers the first games through their acme. The first room houses the history of sports through the display of works from Minoan and Mycenaean Greece. Next room is the presentation of the beginning of the games and Hercules. The room 3 is dedicated to the organization of the games, featuring a collection of sculptures and collection of bronzes and most of all a big collection of the ancient Olympic Games. Room 4 is about the preparation of the athletes in illustrated red figure vases featuring scenes from Palaistra and the Gymnasium. Room 8 is dedicated to the awards and the offerings.
Distance: 1,5 km from hotel – 15 min. walk.
Pier, Baron de Coubertin, was the founder of the International Olympic Committee. He was born in January 1st, 1863 in Paris. From an early age had interest for literature and history, as well as in educational and social issues. He is considered father of the modern Olympic games, beginning with the summer Olympics in Athens, Greece in 1896, and the 1900 games in Paris. Since then the Games have been held every four years in different cities of the world, and since 1936 the Olympic Flame has been carried from Olympia to the Games as a symbol of peace and friendship. Pier de Coubertin was buried in Lausanne, but in accordance with his will, his heart was buried separately in a monument near the ruins of ancient Olympia. This monument is 300 meters far from the stadium and near the International Olympic Academy.